Deck Staining: Maintaining the Beauty of Your Deck
You could say that deck staining is essential in maintaining the beauty and functionality of your home’s deck. A beautiful deck offers an inexpensive extension of your living space. However, it also needs some TLC (and sometimes even more) if you want it to look good! In this article, you will learn how to stain like the pros with 4 easy steps. Ready? Read on!
Properly Cleaning the Deck
You should never underestimate the importance of cleaning your deck. Not only does it help remove dirt and mildew, but also helps restore wood back to its natural color. One of the most labor-intensive steps in maintaining a deck is cleaning it. Pressure washing not only gets rid of that nightmare of a mess you know awaits, but also allows for quick and easy removal of stains. But beware, an inexperienced operator of a pressure washer can do more harm than good when trying to clean bare wood surfaces. So get some advice on that machine.
Things to Ask When Pressure Washing Your Deck
- Are you using the pressure nozzle?
- Are you using the proper angle?
- How close to the surface should you be?
- Are you concentrating the water in a single area for too long?
These can all lead to significant damage to the wood fibers and force you into an expensive repair cycle. So ask a pro at your local rental place about how to get it done correctly.
Sand the Deck if Necessary
If you’re hoping to avoid painful blisters and scrapes on your feet when walking across the deck, it is important that the wood grain be sanded. Especially if the act of cleaning it caused the wood to raise. An electric sander is definitely recommended. Start with a course grit paper for the first pass. For the final finish a medium to fine sandpaper will achieve that sleek professional look.
Replace Any Nails or Screws That May Have Come Loose
Decking boards are constantly being tugged and pulled. Over time, the fasteners that hold them in place tend to loosen up which can make your staining process a whole lot more difficult than it needs to be. To remove any protruding nail heads or screws, it’s a good idea to scour the surface and recess them just slightly below the surface. This will assure your deck staining process gives you the end result you’re looking for.
What Products to Choose When Deck Staining
Once you’ve selected a color, it is time to choose the product that best suits your needs. There are many stains available; however, they all have different uses and characteristics. So be sure to do some research before making any decisions about which one will work for what type of situation!
- Clear Sealer – A lot of people are happy to maintain that natural wood look and will decide on a clear protective sealer. As a warning though this is the least protective type of sealer. Depending on the frequency of use and weather conditions you might have to reapply yearly.
- Semi Transparent Stain – A semi-transparent deck stain will give your home’s exterior a modern, creative touch. You can still see the wood grain and enjoy its beautiful appearance without losing any of that traditional appeal. The clear sealer is a thin layer that just covers the wood. However, adding pigment will create more protection for the deck from water and other elements. This coating won’t wear out as often – probably only every 2-3 years or so, depending on how much use it sees.
- Solid Color Stain – Solid color stains look very similar to flat paints when applied, so the wood grain will be covered. This will give you the best protection for your deck because they provide a long-lasting, durable finish. You can expect 2-5 years’ worth of life from any stain depending on how often it gets worn down. In comparison, other types of vinyl and wood finishes may only last about 1-2 seasons at most before needing another coat or two. The only downfall is like any paint you will have to worry about peeling.
Sometimes it’s Best to Leave it to the Professionals
Do you have a deck and don’t want to deal with the many hassles of getting the job done? Then call Local San Diego Painting! Since 2014 we’ve been helping people with stain work on all types of surfaces. We can guarantee that our services will leave your property looking its best! Tell us about what stain or colors are desired – from classic white to vibrant reds- oranges? No matter which color palette strikes up interest with you give (619) 586-5683 a call today!